Monday, February 8, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day, Class 3A !!!!!

I have made a little mini-vow to do things handmade. 

To make goodies instead of buying them. 

Why? 

Well, first because I think it's cheaper (I am sure in many instances it might not actually be so). 

Second, because I love handmade things -- I love knowing that someone took the time and effort to make something special and wonderful.

Third, because I want to know that when I see some spectacular creation that I can look at said creation and confidently say (to myself!)  "I can do that!"

I guess no. 3 is really the main reason I am going the handmade route.

It's all about the self-esteem -- how to get, how to build it, how to keep it moving in a positive direction.

We all just want to feel good about ourselves, about the choices we make, and how we live everyday.

So...here comes Valentine's Day. How do you do handmade for your child's school celebration?  So many of us have learned that something packaged from a store is better.  But is it?

Little Miss Rachel found these "really cool" iCarly valentine cards at the store. "Oh, these are great, Mom."
"But I thought we were making Valentines for your class."
"Oh."

Is it wrong to push your values on to your child?  Is it really pushing? Or is it a teaching moment?

I don't know.

I just want her to know that she can create... that she can create wonders...that she can be proud and amazed at what her efforts brought forth...that she can create a positive self-worth from what she did herself.

There is sooo much stuff out there  (and goodness knows, there is a lot of stuff in here, too). 

I just want her to learn how to value what is around her.

So, sorry iCarly (is it wrong that I really like that show?).
We did it ourselves this year.


The beginning...



The results!

Thank you to skiptomylou.org!

No comments:

Post a Comment